Google Analytics basics for nonprofits: Q&A with Jason Shim [video]
As nonprofit marketers, we want to make smart use of analytics to evaluate our activities and make better decisions. But where do we begin? To help demystify the world of Google Analytics, I spoke with Jason Shim, Digital Media Manager at Pathways to Education Canada in this video interview.
Jason is very passionate about helping nonprofits to use tech and data wisely and he shared a number of tips and resources (see below for links) in this video interview. For example, Jason talks about:
- Google Analytics 101: what are analytics?
- What we can track with analytics including demographics, visitor behaviour, the technology visitors are using and predictions about their interests.
- How the data we glean can help nonprofit marketers to make better decisions: when we know how people are engaging, we know what is working
“You can’t manage what you don’t measure. If you want to improve your website and outreach online, you need to make sure you’re properly measuring it and interpreting the data.” – Jason Shim
In the interview, Jason suggests how to get started/oriented with Google Analytics:
- Jump in and look around!
- Read as much as possible – and not just resources targeted to nonprofits.
- Start small by looking at basic information about your visitors and their behaviours, then move on to more advanced information.
- Beware of focusing on ‘vanity metrics’ such as email open rates. Focus instead on more useful information, such as behaviours.
Jason shared a number of resources to further your knowledge:
- Google Analytics Training
- Google for Nonprofits Get Started Guide
- inbound.org, a site Jason frequents to learn more about SEO/SEM and for tips on analytics
- Avinash Kaushik’s blog: Avinash is a digital analytics evangelist who offers a lot of great resources
And to learn more from Jason himself:
- Check out the Do Good Data 2014 event on May 12-13 in Chicago, where Jason will be presenting!
Like what you see?
Want to get our latest articles delivered to your email inbox as they are published? Subscribe to moflow weekly email updates to receive:
- Blog posts from our community of nonprofit marketing communications pros
- Marlene's tips and updates specifically for nonprofit copywriters and content creators